Please use the following guidelines when submitting a nomination for the Robert J. Collier Trophy. Nominations that do not fall within the specifications listed below may not be considered during the selection process.
Criteria: The Robert J. Collier Trophy is awarded annually, for the greatest achievement in aeronautics or astronautics in America, with respect to improving the performance, efficiency, and safety of air or space vehicles, the value of which has been thoroughly demonstrated by actual use during the preceding year.
* The term “in America” is defined as a company, entity or individual based in the United States or a foreign subsidiary doing the development and manufacturing of aerospace products in the United States.
1. – Collier Abstract Form – Due January 31st
2. Nomination – Due January 31st
3. Letters of Support – Due January 31st
5. Finalists Presentations to the Selection Committee – March 21st, 2024
Collier Trophy Abstract Form:
This form is designed to assist in determining how your achievement fits the Collier Trophy criteria. Answers to the questions should be brief – elaboration can be included in the nomination. This form should be submitted as a word document along with your nomination and letters of support by the January 31st deadline. Download the Collier Abstract Form .
All nomination materials should be prepared in a PDF format. The page layout, type and size of font may be of the writer’s choosing.
- The nomination should contain the name of the person making the nomination including mailing address, telephone, and e-mail address.
- The nominee(s) must be fully identified by individual or company/organization name. In addition, one primary contact for each nominated entity must be listed along with mailing address, telephone and e-mail address.
- The justification for the nomination must be limited to three (3) pages and should state concisely the specific achievement for which the nominee is being cited. Particular attention should be paid to how that achievement relates to the preceding year and the justification should contain background information that would be pertinent and relevant in assisting the Selection Committee to understand how and why the nominee meets the criteria for this award.
- A proposed citation (30 words or less) which captures the essence of the achievement for which the nomination is being submitted is required and may be on a fourth page by itself.
- Attachments, reprints of articles, etc., will not be considered unless incorporated into and made part of the three-page justification.
- All nomination materials will become property of NAA.
- Nominations should be submitted along with the Collier Trophy Abstract and letters of support by January 31st.
Letters of Support:
Up to five (5) letters supporting a nomination may be sent for consideration by the Selection Committee. Letters should be in PDF Format and must be submitted along with the Collier Trophy Abstract form and nomination by January 31st.
Submitting a Nomination:
The Collier Trophy Abstract Form, nomination, and letters of support must be submitted as a PDF document by email to: a[email protected] CC: to [email protected] with “Collier Nomination” in the subject line and received at that email address between December 1 and January 31 (if January 31 falls on a weekend or holiday, the deadline moves to the NEXT business day). If you have not received confirmation of the nomination within 24 hours of submission, please contact NAA directly at 703-416-4888 Ext 104.
The NAA President, with assistance from a group of subject matter experts, will review all nominations to ensure that the criteria of the Collier Trophy are met. Nominations that are verified to have met the criteria will advance to the next round of in person presentations to the Selection Committee. Nominees will be notified as to whether their nomination will advance to the final round of presentations to the Selection Committee by February 17th.
Presentation to the Selection Committee & Q&A Session:
The nominees identified as finalists are required to appear before the Collier Selection Committee on March 21st, 2024 in Washington, DC to present their nomination and answer questions from the committee. Each nominee will have the opportunity to give a 10-minute presentation of their nomination (visual aids and/or presentation slides will be allowed), followed by up to 20 minutes of questions from the Selection Committee. No more than four team members representing each nomination will be permitted to participate in presentation/Q&A session.
Announcement of Winner:
Nominees will be notified of the selected winner immediately following the Collier Selection Committee Meeting on March 30, 2023. NAA and the recipient will collaborate on the official press release announcing the winner of the Collier Trophy.
Presentation of the Trophy:
The Robert J. Collier Trophy is presented annually by the National Aeronautic Association at a formal dinner in the Washington D.C. area in June 2024.